Sunday, October 21, 2012

31 Days to Financial Freedom, Day 21: Cookies

Hello, folks.  Thanks so much for sticking with me these past few days.  There has been a "sinus thing" going around the hospital where I work, and it is kicking my booty!  I am so ready for this to icky-ness to be over. 

Today we picked up the couch that has been sitting at the furniture store for almost a month.  We were finally able to save up enough money to pay it off, but that of course means that our savings account is pretty much empty . . . again.  Suck-o.

Anyway, remember the pumpkin pie I made last weekend?  It was delicious!  I had about a cup of pumpkin puree left, and I was scouring my recipes to try to find one that only called for 1 cup of puree.  Another issue is that our grocery budget for the week has been spent, so whatever I made, I had to have all the ingredients already in our pantry. 

The daycare where the kiddos attend was having a "raise the roof" party on Friday, and I had planned to make chocolate chip cookies for the volunteers, but then I came down with the plague and couldn't deliver.  So what's a girl to do?  Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies!

Ingredients:

2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree
3 cups AP flour
2 tsps baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 bag milk chocolate chips, or between 12 and 14 ounces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat the butter until smooth, then add both kinds of sugar.  Mix until fully incorporated and fluffy.  Mix in eggs one at a time, then add vanilla and pumpkin puree.  Action shot!


I stopped the mixer every so often to scrap the bottom and sides of the bowl.  Use your best judgement!  In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. 


Add to mixing bowl slowly, less ye make giant mess.  Try not to eat the dough at this point.  It will smell ah-mazing.


Once incorporated, stir in your chocolate chips.  Scoop the cookies on your greased up cookie sheets, or cookie sheets with parchment paper on them.  This will make a crap-ton of cookies.  How much is a crap-ton?  About 54 cookies.  And I made mine pretty large.


Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until yummy-golden brown around the edges.  Cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet before moving to your wire rack to let cool the rest of the way.  The pumpkin and additional spices does not overpower the taste of the cookies.  They really are delicious!  I hope you'll try them!

 
Thanks for hanging in there with me the past few days.  Hopefully the plague has passed on!  I've got plenty more stuff coming up in the next few days, including the kiddos' Halloween costumes, and some crafts I'll be working on tomorrow night if the Cardinals lose tonight and they go to Game 7.  I'm off to watch the rest of the sad sad game they've been playing so far tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment